The Energy & Environment Legal Institute (E&E Legal) joined more than a 100 right-of-center organizations and Conservative lawmakers in a May 24, 2023 letter to Speaker Kevin McCarthy to “Hold the Line” on the debt ceiling. Specifically, the letter stated:
May 24, 2023
Dear Speaker McCarthy and Leader McConnell:
Congratulations fighting back against the economically catastrophic $5 trillion Biden spending and debt spree that imperils our nation’s economic and national security – both now and for decades to come.
The House-passed Limit, Save, Grow Act is not perfect – we would prefer to go back to the 2019 pre-Covid baseline of spending – but it is a good first step forward in restoring America’s financial stability and economic prosperity.
We also believe – as most House Republicans do – that the clear and present danger going forward is NOT that Congress fails to pass a debt ceiling extension before the supposed deadline (as President Biden is claiming), but rather that Congress raises the debt ceiling without critical controls on federal spending and debt.
As you negotiate with the White House and Senate Democrats, we wanted to let you know that we oppose any significant backsliding on the provisions of the House-passed bill. We strongly agree with the views reflected in the attached Memorandum of May 24, 2023 circulated by Congressman Chip Roy, and urge you to hold firm to each of these critical provisions:
- Reduce FY 2024 discretionary spending to FY 2022 levels and cap future spending at 1% growth to cut the deficit and rein in the federal bureaucracy.
- Repeal the grid-destroying tax credits for unreliable energy in the so-called “Inflation Reduction Act” that will benefit rich liberals, corporations, and the CCP.
- Overturn Biden’s unfair, deficit increasing, and tuition increasing student loan bailout – which will cut the deficit by $400 billion this fiscal year.
- Rescind the $80 billion Democrats gave to the IRS to hire 87,000 agents that will target working- and middle-class taxpayers the most.
- Implement the REINS Act to end the abuse of executive power by empowering Congress to approve major regulations that cost Americans billions of dollars.
- Strengthen and establish work requirements for able bodied Americans who are receiving government assistance – just like President Biden supported.
- Reclaim billions in unobligated COVID spending – President Biden himself has signed legislation to end the COVID emergency.